Monday, November 10, 2008

How things hang in the balance

So, today I had an interview with Northwest Mutual. Things started off wonderfully. Despite arriving in Wakefield about 25 minutes early, I managed to get myself into the wrong set of offices and searched around for about 30 minutes before realizing that I needed to travel one street further. It didn't matter though. Apparently, these people will take anyone and everyone with half a brain, as shown by what I felt was a very weak interview. Basically, my job would have been peddling insurance to people, most likely close friends and family who don't need it. I thought I would be a financial advisor of some sort, but I guess I'd be better off looking at an accounting firm for that. What a crock, I was getting so amped up for what I thought would be a kickass internship and instead fate decides to take a shit on my soul. But the reaction I got from my friends really saved me from going over the deep end. This is how it went down:

About 20 minutes after I got back to school, my roommate walked in and asked how everything went. Then when he realized what was going on (as tipped off by the fact that I was asked for referrals for potential interns), he told me to get the hell out of dodge. This was followed by three more of my friends saying thanking me for thinking of them as referrals and letting me know that at least I got a crack at an interview with no risks. Later I called my mom and while she laid down some tough love on me, the phone call we had was quite therapeudic.

But what happens if I ran into a different set of friends at the time who would not have been as supportive? What happens if this scenario happens?

I arrive back at school and run into a couple of friends. After telling them of my failures, they might start prodding at me and saying stuff like, "Nice one, dumbass" or like "Hey, Adam, sell me a plan for my future!!!" Then to top it off, at the exact wrong moment, another friend walks in, hears about the story and just says "Fail." At this point, I would either go into a tirade breaking walls, throwing furniture out the window, and overall being destructive...or alternatively I would have found the largest knife in the kitchen and begin attempting to slit myself open in as many places as I could before my friends wrestle the knife away from me and send me to a mental institution.

Thankfully, I don't have friends who would incite these reactions from me. This is why the friends you choose are quite important, or something happy and corny like that.

And a shout-out to my friend Robbie. Look out for this guy on TV in a couple of years. He's got a sweet staking gig for tourneys and has been killing it ever since.

No comments: